Introducing The Q
A Pediatric Position Holder
Why we call it The Q
The Q Pediatric Position Holder was created by Dr. Frank Quattromani (a.k.a. “Dr. Q”), a board certified pediatric radiologist.
- The Q Pediatric Position Holder is a revolutionary new child friendly, single patient use immobilizer which is effective, safe, simple and versatile.
- The Q Position Holder is an emerging medical technology for children that standardizes the process of immobilization for medical procedures.
- Our 1/2” thick, soft polyurethane foam holder has no extraneous straps, boards, or hook & loop attachments.
- Our hope is that we can lessen the anxiety, fear, and distress which are ways that children respond to medical procedures.
- The Q Holder is used for short periods in highly monitored settings.
- No other position holder leaves the chest, abdomen and pelvis free for unrestricted respirations as well as uninterrupted tube and line placement.
The Q solves immobilization challenges better and with less stress on the patient
The Q is simple while allowing a variety of holds
|Patient laid flat on the Pediatric Position Holder||A One Arm Hold|
|A Two Arm Hold||Two Arms and One Leg Hold|
|Both Arms And Legs Held Securely||Perineum flap folds against the leg and outer flap wraps around leg for additional support and comfort|
The Q positioner maximizes contact, minimizes movement allowing for sufficient immobilization without unnecessary hands-on
|One Arm Immobilized||Two Arms Immobilized|
|Two Arms One Leg - Note the Inner Fold||Two Arms Both Legs - Outer Fold Surrounds and Secures|
|Ultrasound on Back|
|IV Line Placement|
|A casting procedure using The Q|
Certified Child Life Specialists (CCLS)
- Child Life Specialists focus on the psychosocial aspect of the child providing coping mechanisms for procedures.
- Coping skills minimize the adverse effects on the child and parent.
- The Q is intended to compliments the work of the CCLS.
- The CCLS can incorporate the Q as one of the “comfort kit” tools by using it for medical play.
|Medical play allows children to “play” out anxieties regarding medical experiences||Children who participate in Medical Play experience less procedural distress|
Additional features and characteristics
- 100% polyurethane
- Radiolucent to X-Ray
- CT, MRI and ultrasound compatible
- Reduces motion artifacts for imaging
- Gender neutral
- Single patient use (NOT to be reprocessed or reused)
*Single patient use ensures compliance with infection preventive requirements and protocols
- Proudly made in the USA
- Friction-based Hold
- Our positioner allows us to “hold without handling.”
Most pediatric medical procedures are better performed when the child is motionless
The opportunity to reduce radiation exposure is a critical issue within the pediatric radiology community. The Q assists children to remain montionless for diagnostic X-Rays, thus fewer exposures could mean less radiation.
The Q allows the radiologic technologists to remain further from the primary and scatter radiation.
- Designed with field-testing for maximum usability.
- Designed to be compatible with all major commercial imaging systems.
- Designed so as not to confine.
- The design keeps the arms and legs away form the chest and abdomen leaving the chest “open” for better respirations.
- The contoured ergonomic design is a pure positioning innovation.
- Reduces excessive force on the child’s extremities without over-handling.
- Contours to the child rather than forcing the child to fit the positioner.
- Minimizes pressure points with a ½” thick comfortable foam.
- Does not interferer with tubes, lines and catheters.
- The Q supports the head and neck as a unit.
- Can be warmed in a towel warmer prior to use.
Parents are positive about The Q
Frank Louis Quattromani, M.D.
- University Medical Center, Lubbock, Texas
- Clinical Professor of Pediatrics and Pathology, Texas Tech University School of Medicine, Lubbock, Texas
- Former Radiology Consultant to the United States Army Office of the Surgeon General
- (Retired), U.S. Army Colonel (Medical Department)
Patricia Rae Quattromani
Co-Inventor and Product Designer
For more information contact us at:
Phone: (806)778-2183 or (806)241-0373
Email: [email protected]
Website: www.PediatricPositionHolder.com - The Q
 Infant immobilization and pediatric papooses: We’ve come a long way. Journal of Emergency Nursing Oct. 2007; 33:451-5
© Copyright 2020, SJMJC, LLC.
Patent Pending: #62/773,347